Is your mouth watering yet? These beauties are created by the very talented Caroline Khoo of Nectar & Stone – a Melbourne-based dessert designer with a flair for creating utterly gorgeous treats which are usually too pretty to eat. With a whopping 130k+ following on Instagram you might say she’s a bit of a star. She’s on a mission to open the most beautiful cakery in Melbourne and I can only imagine how breathtaking it will be. Really hoping she’ll bring these creations to Sydney next!
I spent a couple of minutes with this clever lady to hear about her journey so far, her plans for the future plus what some of her fave party styling items are of the moment. Thanks for your time, Caroline! What an inspiration.
Tell us a bit about you and your business – how did Nectar and Stone get started and where did you learn to make such beautiful desserts?!
n & s started with a vision of creating edible pieces of art. Its an amalgamation of fashion meets sweets. It started as something small, not intentionally meaning to become a business as such, more a means for me to have some time out and creativity after having two kids. It soon became evident to family and friends that what I was making and in many ways designing should be made for others to enjoy as well. There is no training as such, everything I make is self taught. I have a real passion for food in general.
What are your plans for Nectar & Stone in 2015?
2015 will see a cakery for n & s – based in Richmond / Melbourne
Which dessert designers and bakers do you admire?
I love Maggie Beer and Stephanie Alexander, both these ladies demonstrate a love for food and the land. I have learnt so much about growing and planting fruits and vegetables from these two ladies.
Any advice for budding creatives wanting to start their own business adventure?
My best advice for anyone interested in starting their own business, is first being true to who you are / in your style and in your passion. You also need to be willing to work hard and spend time being a master in your trade.
What are your fave 5 party items at the moment?
1. Cake Toppers from Glistening Occasions – They are custom made and you can design what you like.
2. Straws from Lark – I love the colours and designs. They are great to add colour to the table.
3. Party bags and balloons from Poppies for Grace – The balloons are perfect for adding to mini cakes and then large ones to feature on tables. The party bags are colourful and pretty as well.
4. Phantom Chairs from Little Big Company – I’ve used these a few times before for my tables and also for fashion VIP nights where my chocolates and macarons were featured.
5. Invitations from Wedding Paper Chic – Beautiful custom work designed and perfect for table setups.